D … is for Design
How you choose to design your blog or website is a very personal thing. Its look, its feel, its readability will all be affected by your design. Thankfully, you no longer need to be a technical wizard to create the look you want. Most blogging or website building software will offer a wide array of themes to choose from. The hardest part may be making the choice with so much to choose from.
Once you settle on a theme, try to keep the look and feel of your blog consistant. That’s not to say that you shouldn’t feel free to change the look if you don’t think it’s working for you or delivering the results you want. Some marketing bloggers try on two or more themes to see which get the better response.
You should also try to keep the overall look of your company’s communications media consistant and in keeping with the image you want your business to project. For a small business owner or non-profit organization administrator, this is an especially important part when it comes to marketing your company.
Here are some general guidelines that I find helpful:
- Don’t let the theme detract from the content. It should complement it.
- Choose a theme that’s easy to read and has a reader-friendly layout.
- Use a theme that allows you to link and feature any widgets you want to use in your posts.
- Choose a theme that can be customized to suit your needs.
- Look for a theme that will give your blog a bit of a WOW factor.
Coming soon ~ E … is for e-Commerce.